Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A short history of Irish Criminal Injustices and Inconsistencies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Overheal wrote: »
    This is the part where I'd make a big rant to get your thumb out of your collective asses and reform your justice system but I know in 5 years time nothing will have changed.

Why are you lecturing us on our justice system? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I knew it.. you're Michael Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

May I add the continual jailing of people for selling the non-poisonous pollen or flower of a particular plant, for up to 10 years, as another longstanding injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,766 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

laugh wrote: »
    Why are you lecturing us on our justice system? lol
    Why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've been saying it for ages - crime report stories and scumbag-gets-off-lightly stories should have their own forum.

Mind you, there's be **** all left to discuss in AH...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Why not.

If you have enough money is the US you can get away with anything.

About 1 in every 30 US citizens are behind bars, and crime rates still continue to dwarf those of Ireland

Uh huh.

About 1 in every 30 US citizens are behind bars, and crime rates still continue to dwarf those of Ireland

Locking up all the poor people is a good idea I admit....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

People more than likely with no legal experience giving thoughts on summarys of cases is all I see.

• Advertisement

Adult Citizens; or 2.5 million.

I don't necessarily agree with that extreme either; but this inconsistent sentencing for rape and manslaughter and other acts of violence needs to be stamped out.

He lost all the other rich peoples money. Phil Spector, Robert Blake, O.J, Wacko Jacko ....

Adult Citizens; or 2.5 million.

I don't necessarily agree with that extreme either; but this inconsistent sentencing for rape and manslaughter and other acts of violence needs to be stamped out.

I do agree with you about inconsistency and the apparent injustices, but crime rates are lower here than in many other western nations. So that must suggest that something is working. A lot of recent cases were shown undue leniency though.. there's no getting away from that.

There are 2.3 million prisoners in the US.. 25% of the world's total incarcerated - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate

Oh I will fully admit there are failings in the US justice system but I mean, a thing at a time.

The Crime rate is lower in Ireland either because of Lower Actual Crime, or Lower Catch and Conviction rates. More power to you.

But what really is taking the piss out of the Irish Legal System is not the Catch or the Conviction, its the Sentencing after Conviction. That responsibility lies solely with Judges. Judges which it is worth mentioning are Appointed, not Elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Its down to our weak liberal justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who cares? The World Cup is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This is the part where I'd make a big rant to get your thumb out of your collective asses and reform your justice system but I know in 5 years time nothing will have changed.

of course it won't. evenone in power in Ireland is corrupt, incompetant, useless or is connected with the right groups. There is no accountability or responsibility in any aspect of the countries governance or law :mad:

rovert wrote: »
    People more than likely with no legal experience giving thoughts on summarys of cases is all I see.

:rolleyes:

why do you need legal experience to comment on a case?
    Its information in the public domain and everyone is entitled to an opinion on it regardless :mad:
    There are 2.3 million prisoners in the US.. 25% of the world's total incarcerated - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate

and if we could fit them all we'd have a higher percentage in prison too...

and if we could fit them all we'd have a higher percentage in prison too...

What makes you think that? Why do other European countries not have such high incarceration numbers as the US? It's easy to climb up on a high horse, even when you don't know how to ride it.. I guess anything is better than Ireland though, whatever the thing is

:rolleyes:

why do you need legal experience to comment on a case?
    Its information in the public domain and everyone is entitled to an opinion on it regardless :mad:

As you dont know the law, just a guess mate?

• Advertisement

Translation: Society giving its opinion on a function of society.

I don't need to know the law to know if two teenagers go decided to make nookie, they shouldn't be in prison for it. I don't need to be a Big City Lawyer to see its also wrong to walk away from a murder charge. I also know its wrong to have no consequence visited upon you for lying to the legal system and getting an innocent man imprisoned for crimes he never committed.

Do you need to be a farmer to smell bullsh*t?

As you dont know the law, just a guess mate?

oh I know the law, just obviously not all the countless loopholes that seem to always appear
    What makes you think that? Why do other European countries not have such high incarceration numbers as the US? It's easy to climb up on a high horse, even when you don't know how to ride it.. I guess anything is better than Ireland though, whatever the thing is

if half the prisons in the country were empty do you honestly think the sentences being given now would be the norm? Prison time (even very short term) would be a much more common option. Simple economics and best use of resources, not high horse anything

oh I know the law, just obviously not all the countless loopholes that seem to always appear

In turn you dont know how and when these "loopholes" can be applied.

In turn you dont know how and when these "loopholes" can be applied.

by there very meaning of the term they shouldn't even exist anyway. Loopholes are nothing more than a failure or an expliotation of the language of the law, not its spirit.

if half the prisons in the country were empty do you honestly think the sentences being given now would be the norm? Prison time (even very short term) would be a much more common option. Simple economics and best use of resources, not high horse anything

It's not simple economics at all.. higher levels of incarceration are statistically shown not to lower overall crime rates

It's not simple economics at all.. higher levels of incarceration are statistically shown not to lower overall crime rates

yes maybe when the levels get a lot higher than they are now, but part of that is also the failing of the prison system such that gangs and crime rings can be run in the prisons with total ease (if news reports and documentaries of both Irish and US prisons are to be believed).
    higher incarciration rates than we have now combined with a much more effective prison system and enviroment will lower crime rates. we don't have to get to high level like the US but some of the crimes in this country that do not get prison time are frankly astounding and worrying.

by there very meaning of the term they shouldn't even exist anyway. Loopholes are nothing more than a failure or an expliotation of the language of the law, not its spirit.

I guess you missed the quote marks I had around loop holes then.

You mean the ones that made you sound like you were mocking the very idea that loopholes existed?

No I saw that.

You mean the ones that made you sound like you were mocking the very idea that loopholes existed?

No I saw that.

Overheal please dont start in another thread.

There are two types of loopholes:

Loopholes which are actually loopholes

Pieces of sound law which people consider as loopholes

• Advertisement

"maybe"

Advertisement